[Why this featured image with this post? Um, no reason. I just like this selfie. lol lol lol (c)nj2016]
We gon’ be alright / Do you hear me, do you feel me?/We gon’ be alright. -K.Dot
I have a lot on my bird, but I don’t have the mental or emotional space to fully unpack it all. Below are some robust thoughts that I look forward to processing in the next few weeks.
- As our mattering endures and we continue to exist in our humanity, I breathe.
- Two songs, different genres : same essence, are on an uninterrupted rotation in my spirit and on my tongue: “Alright” by Kendrick Lamar and “I’ll Make It” by Hezekiah Walker & LFCC featuring John P. Kee.
- At a friend’s bearthday gathering, which morphed into a sista-circle, a sista asked: “What do we want as womyn?” Someone not only quickly responded, but reacted with her entire body, “Freedom.”
- There is a difference between being direct and having a “nasty attitude.” At the heart of “nastiness” is pain, and it’s the ego that feeds “nastiness.”
- Trump has reminded people of color about facelessness. For oppression to “work” and be maintained, oppressors cannot “see” human faces or the humanness of those they harm.
- School discipline for Black gyrls is saturated in shaming, respectability politics, heteronormativity, misogyny and the sexism of being, unladylike.
- As a mental health practitioner I ask: Is Depo-Provera (DMPA – the birth control shot), contributing to the sterilization, depression and deeply disturbing mood changes of Black/Brown adolescent gyrls?
- Tend to our heart. How do we do this?
- The process of dying and death, informs the process of living and life.
- 2016, has been unrelenting.
Alright Now (Said I know I’ll make it, anyhow.) – H. Walker